In February 2019 we’ll be starting our lead pipe replacement programme in the Westbury Road area of Southend-on-Sea. We’ll be replacing the lead communication pipe (the pipe which goes from the water main in the street to the boundary of your property) with a new plastic pipe. For the first time we are offering to replace customers’ lead supply pipes. This is the pipe which is owned by customers or their landlord and goes from the boundary of their property, into their home. This is completely FREE for those customers within the selected area for a limited time only.
Why Southend East?
We have a programme of work to replace all our lead communication pipes. Replacement schemes are identified through prioritisation. Southend East was chosen because our data analysis suggested a high proportion of properties in this area still had lead pipes.
Why are ESW offering to replacement customer’s lead pipes?
Our communication pipe tends to be relatively small compared to the length of a customer’s supply pipe. If we replace our lead communication this still leaves the risk of lead in water from the customer’s supply pipe. We are committed to our journey to be free from lead pipes and want to understand how customers respond to full service pipe replacement (from the water main to the customer tap). This pilot study will help us inform decision-making for future replacement schemes. Your feedback on the proposal and the process throughout is really important to us. Please leave your comments on this update, or get in touch using the ‘Contact us’ button at the top of the page.
We’ll be replacing all the lead communication pipes on the highlighted streets in the scheme area (see scheme map below). We will replace your lead supply pipe at the same time if we have your consent. To take advantage of this free offer, phone our lead line to make an appointment with one of our site surveyors on 01268 664118. If you’re not sure whether you have lead pipes or whether you want to have the work done then you can have a chat with our surveyor. You can change your mind at any time before the work starts. Remember this offer is for a limited time only!
What is the package on offer?
You’ll receive all of the following for free:
• Full lead supply pipe replacement – we’ll take the hassle away by replacing your lead pipe up to a tap within your home.
• Pipework health check – We’ll help check your plumbing fixtures and fittings. Plumbing fittings in your home can cause water quality issues including noticeable tastes and smell. This type of issue tends to be if they are old, damaged, worn or made of unapproved materials.
• Water and energy saving visit with water saving products worth up to £130.
What are the benefits of replacing lead pipes?
• Peace of mind – knowing that your pipework is lead free and that your new upgraded pipes are less likely to leak.
• Hassle free – work is carried out by one of our qualified plumbers and engineers which comes with a two year guarantee. Plus we use trenchless technology to minimise disruption.
• Money saving – with our water and energy saving advice your water bills could be reduced by up to £32 a year.
• Pipework health check – knowing that the high standard of water quality is kept at this standard once it arrives at your taps.
• Better flow – new plastic pipes are larger and smoother so you may notice better water flow at your tap and your shower.
• Selling your home – lead pipes may put off some buyers.